MF Global Problems Double
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The trustee in charge of liquidating MF Global's (MFGLQ.PK) brokerage unit said the shortfall in customer funds may be more than $1.2 billion, double the $600 million that was originally estimated by the Commodity Futures Trading Commission.
"At present, the Trustee believes that even if he recovers everything that is at US depositories, the apparent shortfall in what MF Global management should have segregated at US depositories may be as much as $1.2 billion or more," trustee James Giddens said in a statement, adding that the number could change.
The jump in estimate comes as anger mounts among clients who are struggling to recover their money from the bankruptcy process, as investigators look into the matter of the missing money.
Meanwhile, a group of customers are filing a motion against
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Shanthi Bharatwaj. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/shavenk. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV