NEW YORK ( MainStreet) -- What's happening in small business today?
Terms of the deal were not disclosed but sources say the price tag for Hunch was roughly $80 million, according to Uncrunched. The recommendations tech firm was reportedly looked at by Google (GOOG) last year, though Uncrunched says it's not known if the big search engine was bidding against eBay this time around.
2. How to get your product to stand out in a crowded market. Google recently launched Google Music, but even Google has to muscle for market share in an already crowded marketplace for music downloads led by Apple (AAPL) iTunes and Spotify. Some key lessons in the scramble include focusing on the customer experience so you stand out; staying in control of the "conversation" by telling users where you fit when they already know of or have other services; and being humble because "there isn't much value in going negative on your competitors," according to Inc. Magazine.3. The future entrepreneurs are... Black children are more likely to start a business than their white counterparts, according to a Gallup poll cited by Small Business Trends. The statistics are especially interesting because it is the opposite of what's happening in earlier generations. Small Business Trends blogger Scott Shane wonders if the difference is because of a generational shift in attitude regarding entrepreneurism among black children or if it shows the reality of the difficulties in starting a business. --Written by Laurie Kulikowski in New York. To follow Laurie Kulikowski on Twitter, go to: http://twitter.com/#!/LKulikowski To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV