Updated with anannouncement from the MF Global trustee and a report by Credit Suisse.
The broad indexes were all down over 2% as investors fretted over the expected failure of the congressional super committee to agree by its Nov. 23 deadline, on a combination of spending cuts and tax increases to trim the federal budget deficit.
The KBW Bank Index (I:BKX) declined 3% to close at 36.40, with the 24 index components seeing declines of at least 1%.Meanwhile, the trustee in charge of liquidating MF Global's brokerage unit of MF Global (MF) following the firm's bankruptcy filing, said that "the apparent shortfall in what MF Global management should have segregated at US depositories may be as much as $1.2 billion or more," which is more than double the original estimate for missing customer funds. While there was a lack of major news out of Europe, Credit Suisse released a report cheerfully entitled The "Last Days" of the Euro, in which a team of researchers argued that extraordinary measures will be need to be taken in order to avoid "the progressive closure of all the eurozone sovereign bond markets, potentially accompanied by escalating runs on even the strongest banks." Shares of Citigroup (C) were down nearly 5% to close at $25.00. Large U.S. financials seeing shares dip 4% declines on Monday included Huntington Bancshares (HBAN), closing at $4; Morgan Stanley (MS), at $13.60; and American International Group (AIG), which closed at $91.30. Large U.S. banking names seeing 3% declines included BB&T (BBT), closing at $22.06; Bank of New York Mellon (BK), at $18.42; Comerica (CMA), at $24.09; Fifth Third Bancorp (FITB), at $11.52; KeyCorp (KEY), at $6.85; PNC (PNC), at $50.97; Regions Financial (RF), at $3.97; and U.S. Bancorp (USB), closing at $24.62.
Philip van Doorn. To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/PhilipvanDoorn. >.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV