This Day On The Street
Continue to site
This account is pending registration confirmation. Please click on the link within the confirmation email previously sent you to complete registration.
Need a new registration confirmation email? Click here

Turning Water Into Liquid Assets

NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- "Water may turn out to be the biggest commodity story of the 21st century," says Edward Kerschner, a consultant to Morgan Stanley.

The idea of water investing got a jump start in the late 1990s when a change in tax law allowed for cities to sign long-term water contracts with private companies. Water "rights" are generally held by state and federal authorities in the U.S. Enron had a strategy to acquire water rights and then provide a market in which to trade them.

Enron failed as a result of massive accounting fraud and never got the idea off the ground. Its most famous water company, Azurix, was broken up and sold off in pieces.

American Water Works (AWK - Get Report) bought a large amount of Azurix's holdings -- an inauspicious beginning to the water investing market.

Fast forward 10 years as cities are getting less money from the federal government to help upgrade their water infrastructure, and the water companies are becoming an accepted solution.

One option is an actual water company that gets hired by a city, like American Water Works. The stock is up 27% for the past year and pays a 3% dividend. This dividend though is in the mid-50% payout range vs. the normal utility payout range of 65%-70%, so the dividend could be increasing. Investors need to be aware that volumes fell in the third quarter, and the company has pending rate cases.

Aqua America (WTR - Get Report) is up 3% for the past year and also pays a 3% dividend. The company is in an investment stage and spending millions on updating systems. As some power customers lost service during hurricanes and freak snow storms, Aqua America made sure its customers didn't lose water.

The company is also getting involved in horizontal drilling for natural gas. Water is needed for the drilling, and Aqua America brings water to the drilling as well as testing the water for safety. "As long as they're drilling, they're going to need water," said Nick DeBenedictis of Aqua America.

If an investor would prefer to diversify his or her water holdings, there are several water-based ETFs to choose from. The PowerShares Water Resources Portfolio (PHO) invests 90% of its assets in ADRs and common stocks that make up the Palisades Water Index. The fund is down 7% for the past year, but the total return is up 8% for the same period. The PowerShares Global Water Portfolio (PIO) is down 11% for the past year, but has a total return of 19% for 2010. Doug Kass suggests the Claymore S&P Global Water ETF (CGW). It is up 1.9% for the past year and tracks the S&P Global Water Index. The index is in two distinct sectors of the water-related business -- water utilities and water equipment and materials. It makes quarterly distributions.
1 of 3

Check Out Our Best Services for Investors

Action Alerts PLUS

Portfolio Manager Jim Cramer and Director of Research Jack Mohr reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.

Product Features:
  • $2.5+ million portfolio
  • Large-cap and dividend focus
  • Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Quant Ratings

Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.

Product Features:
  • Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
  • Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
  • A custom stock screener
Stocks Under $10

David Peltier uncovers low dollar stocks with serious upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.

Product Features:
  • Model portfolio
  • Stocks trading below $10
  • Intraday trade alerts
14-Days Free
Only $9.95
14-Days Free
Dividend Stock Advisor

David Peltier identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.

Product Features:
  • Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
  • Updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
Trifecta Stocks

Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutiny—quantitative, fundamental and technical analysis—to maximize profit potential and minimize risk.

Product Features:
  • Model Portfolio
  • Intra Day Trade alerts
  • Access to Quant Ratings
Real Money

More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.

Product Features:
  • Access to Jim Cramer's daily blog
  • Intraday commentary and news
  • Real-time trading forums
Only $49.95
14-Days Free
14-Days Free
AWK $73.34 -0.99%
WTR $32.49 -0.40%
PIO $21.34 -0.33%
PHO $22.64 -0.82%
CGW $28.84 -0.31%


Chart of I:DJI
DOW 17,644.35 -6.91 -0.04%
S&P 500 2,046.63 -4.49 -0.22%
NASDAQ 4,711.8380 -13.8010 -0.29%

Free Reports

Top Rated Stocks Top Rated Funds Top Rated ETFs