New York & Company, Inc. (NYSE: NWY), a specialty apparel chain with 542 retail stores, today announced results for the third quarter ended October 29, 2011.
Third Quarter Fiscal Year 2011 Results:
- Net sales were $216.7 million compared to $238.2 million for the third quarter of fiscal year 2010.
- Comparable store sales decreased 5.2% compared to a 3.6% increase in the third quarter last year.
- Operating loss was $6.0 million compared to an operating loss of $4.0 million in the third quarter last year.
- Net loss was $9.0 million, or $0.15 per diluted share and included an unusual tax charge of $2.5 million, or $0.04 per diluted share. The charge pertains to an IRS income tax audit for tax years prior to and including 2002.
- Net income for the same period last year was $1.9 million, or $0.03 per diluted share, which included an unusual tax benefit of $6.1 million, or $0.10 per diluted share, reflecting a change in accounting methods for tax purposes, and the previously disclosed unusual charge of $0.01 per diluted share.
- As previously disclosed, the Company’s income tax provision reflects the continuing impact of its deferred tax valuation allowance initially recorded in the second quarter of fiscal year 2010.
Gregory Scott, New York & Company’s CEO, stated: “We were disappointed with our sales performance during the quarter. We believe our product continues to resonate with our customers as evidenced by our improved retail inventory turns and while our promotional cadence was the same as last year, it did not drive the level of traffic and transactions that we anticipated. During the third quarter our outlet strategy remained on track and sales nearly doubled in our eCommerce business versus the third quarter of last year. Profitability trailed the same period in the prior year; however, we continued to diligently manage expenses during the third quarter and generated leverage in SG&A. Our balance sheet remains solid with inventory appropriately positioned to capitalize on the holiday season.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV