Property and Casualty reinsurer Transatlantic Holdings (TRH) saw its share of hedge fund action.
John Paulson's Paulson & Co bought 2 million shares of the firm. Westchester Capital and AQR Capital Management were among the other big buyers during the third quarter.Transatlantic has been courted by a number of suitors in the reinsurance space, which has likely attracted merger-arbitrageurs. After calling off its merger with Allied World (AWH) and rebuffing a unit of Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway , the firm recently rejected an offer from Validus, saying the deal undervalued the company. Shares of Transatlantic have gained 4% in 2011. Only one analyst has a buy recommendation on the stock. Eight other analysts preferred to stay on the fence with a hold rating.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV