Sell-side analyst favorite U.S. Bancorp received much love from hedge funds in the third quarter. The stock saw $169 million worth of buying, with Viking Global Investors, Maverick Capital and Ken Griffin's Citadel being among the notable buyers.
The bank saw strong lending trends in the third quarter, driving a net income growth of 40% year-over-year to $1.273 billion or 64 cents per share. Average total loans increased 5% over the corresponding quarter of the previous year- 4.5% excluding acquisitions.US Bancorp is gaining market share in corporate loans as foreign banks reduce their U.S. exposure, notably in the syndicated loan market. The bank also ranks among the highest on profitability metrics with a return on assets of 3%. Shares are down 6% year-to-date but the stock is a relative outperformer in the banking space. 22 analysts rate the stock a buy or outperform, 12 maintain a hold rating while two analysts have an underperform or sell rating.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV