Please enjoy this free sample of our premium content featuring Timothy Collins. To get all of Collin's premium content free for a limited time, please register here.
NEW YORK (RealMoney) -- There is nothing certain in life except death and taxes. There is nothing certain about the markets. But what if we combined the two notions? Would they create any certainty? More importantly, could they create a portfolio worthy of your after-tax money for your remaining days?
Just because an idea might seem strange or even a bit silly, that does not necessarily mean it isn't worth merit or at least worth researching. My methodology here was to bring together companies with the theme of death and taxes. Perhaps if it were an ETF, I'd get the ticker REPR, REAP or DEAD, but alas, I am not to that point yet.
I maintained an equal weighting for each equity name and looked at the portfolio as being static from setup. Rebalancing could be used along with a diversification of dividends or even option writing, but for the purposes of just keeping the initial idea simple, I avoided those steps at the beginning. Moving forward, they are normal steps I would consider for any portfolio.
|Publicly traded tax preparers fit the death-and-taxes portfolio perfectly in theme, but their performance is another matter.|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV