Please enjoy this free sample of our premium content featuring Timothy Collins. To get all of Collin's premium content free for a limited time, please register here.
NEW YORK ( RealMoney) -- There is nothing certain in life except death and taxes. There is nothing certain about the markets. But what if we combined the two notions? Would they create any certainty? More importantly, could they create a portfolio worthy of your after-tax money for your remaining days?
Just because an idea might seem strange or even a bit silly, that does not necessarily mean it isn't worth merit or at least worth researching. My methodology here was to bring together companies with the theme of death and taxes. Perhaps if it were an ETF, I'd get the ticker REPR, REAP or DEAD, but alas, I am not to that point yet.
I maintained an equal weighting for each equity name and looked at the portfolio as being static from setup. Rebalancing could be used along with a diversification of dividends or even option writing, but for the purposes of just keeping the initial idea simple, I avoided those steps at the beginning. Moving forward, they are normal steps I would consider for any portfolio.
|Publicly traded tax preparers fit the death-and-taxes portfolio perfectly in theme, but their performance is another matter.|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV