Britain will keep Northern Rock's asset management business, which holds roughly a $74 billion book of mortgages, on top of nearly $42.4 billion in capital injections that government made into the lender.
In a statement announcing the deal, Virgin chief executive Sir Richard Branson said, "Banking in the U.K. needs some fresh ideas and an injection of new competition." Virgin Money expects to re-brand Northern Rock branches and significantly bolster its lending over the next five years.
Branson is buying a lender with a still uncertain business. Northern Rock's loss narrowed to $107 million in the first six months of 2011 from a loss of $224 million in that period a year earlier. However, in 2012, Northern Rock expects to see a profit.
For Wilbur Ross led WL Ross & Co., its piece in the deal represents a further push into European bank investments. In July, the investment vehicle took a near 10% investment in Bank or Ireland (IRE) for over $400 million as part of an investor consortium that gave the struggling Irish bank over $1.6 billion in capital.The Northern Rock sale is expected to close in 2012 and is subject to approval by the British Financial Services Authority and the European Commission. -- Written by Antoine Gara in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV