Bank of America also notes in Wednesday's press release that "in October 2010, Bank of America announced the addition of approximately 1,000 new small business bankers throughout the U.S. by early 2012 to provide counsel and guidance to local small business owners."
However, in September of this year, CEO Brian Moynihan said the bank would cut "approximately 30,000 jobs over the next few years."
Bank of America spokesman George wrote that Bank of America has hired 550 small business bankers so far and still plans to reach 1000 by early 2012.
"These are all new hires, and we have not laid off any Small Business Bankers since announcing this plan," George wrote, adding the bank will continue to hire where it sees "growth opportunities."According to George, Bank of America is supporting small business in other ways. For example, it is "among 13 banks that have pledged to the White House and the [U.S. Small Business Administration] to increase small business lending by a total of $20 billion over the next three years." Given Bank of America's facility with numbers, that should be a piece of cake. -- Written by Dan Freed in New York. Follow me on twitter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV