NEW YORK (TheStreet Ratings) -- TheStreet Ratings reviews the risk-adjusted return performance of around 25,000 funds every month. The best rated emerging markets exchange-traded funds for 2012 are listed each month at TheStreet's Top-Rated ETFs page.
Only two exchange-traded emerging markets funds ranked in the "Buy" range. So, our listing of the top funds in this category takes an expanded look to include seven open-end stock funds, two open-end bond funds, and one traditional closed-end fund, all of which outperformed the exchange-traded funds in our rankings.
Here are the 10 best emerging markets funds for 2012:
10. Wells Fargo Adv Emerg Mkts Eq AWells Fargo Adv Emerg Mkts Eq A (EMGAX) has an investment objective to provide shareholders with long term capital growth. The fund may invest at least 80% of its assets in equity securities of issuers located in emerging markets. Emerging markets countries include but are not limited to South Korea, Brazil, Russia, China, South Africa, Mexico, Taiwan, India, and Malaysia. The fund may invest in at least six different countries although it may invest all of its assets in a single country. The fund may invest in securities across all market capitalizations, seeking investments that offer potential growth opportunities attributable to factors such as political change, economic deregulation and liberalized trade policy. Expense Ratio: 1.84% Front Load: 5.75% Back Load: 0.00% Rated "A-" by TheStreet Ratings
9. SEI Inst Intl Emerging Mkts Debt ASEI Inst Intl Emerging Mkts Debt A (SITEX) seeks to maximize total return. The fund invests at least 80% of its net assets in fixed income securities of emerging markets issuers and invests primarily in U.S. dollar denominated debt securities of government related and corporate issuers in emerging market countries as well as entities organized to restructure the outstanding debt of such issuers. Expense Ratio: 1.79% Front Load: 0.00% Back Load: 0.00% Rated "A-" by TheStreet Ratings
8. Fidelity New Markets IncomeFidelity New Markets Income (FNMIX) seeks high current income and capital appreciation. The fund normally invests at least 80 percent of assets in securities of issuers in emerging markets and other investments that are tied economically to emerging markets and invests potentially in other types of securities including equity securities of emerging market issuers, debt securities of non-emerging market foreign issuers and lower quality debt securities of U.S. issuers. The fund allocates investments across countries considering the size of the market in each country relative to the size of the markets in countries considered emerging markets as a whole. Expense Ratio: 0.89% Front Load: 0.00% Back Load: 1.00% Rated "A-" by TheStreet Ratings
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV