Google and Groupon are the largest holdings from the United States, each accounting for less than 5% of SOCL's portfolio. LinkedIn, meanwhile, is nowhere to be found among the fund's top ten holdings.
Ultimately, for conservative investors, there are other more-liquid and less-top-heavy ways to take advantage of the growing presence of social media. The First Trust Dow Jones Internet Index Fund (FDN) is one product I've pointed to as being a promising play on this industry.
FDN's direct exposure to social media names is limited. However, with extensive exposure to Google, Amazon (AMZN), eBay (EBAY) and other Internet household names, the fund is in a strong position to profit as social media helps to further engrain the internet into our daily lives.
Written by Don Dion in Williamstown, Mass.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV