SALISBURY, N.C., Nov. 16, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Starting today, the Food Lion family of banners, Bloom and Bottom Dollar Food kick off the ninth annual "Hunger Has a Cure" campaign to support local food banks affiliated with Feeding America, the nation's largest domestic hunger-relief charity. The campaign, which gives customers the opportunity to purchase ready-made food boxes or donate food in bins, runs through Dec. 27.
The supermarket chains hope to collectively surpass previous box donation counts and raise over 1.5 million pounds of food, valued at over $1.2 million, during the 2011 "Hunger Has a Cure" campaign.
"We believe that, as a grocer, we can make a difference in our communities by joining forces with Feeding America, and our customers and associates to fight hunger – one box at a time," said Bill Garcia, community relations manager for Food Lion Family, Bloom and Bottom Dollar Food.The ready-made food boxes contain six items of private label product and they are available at Food Lion, Harveys, Reid's, Bloom and Bottom Dollar Food stores for $4.99 each. All stores will have a designated food collection area where customers can place the food boxes or other non-perishable items. The boxes are available while supplies last, and customers will have the opportunity to give cash donations at the register in lieu of sold-out boxes. Since January 2011, Food Lion Family, Bloom and Bottom Dollar Food grocery donations to Feeding America have amounted to more than 34 million pounds of food, valued at more than $76 million. The grocers' long-standing partnership with Feeding America dates back to 2002, and over the years, more than 294 million pounds of food have been donated to Feeding America and its affiliated food banks.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV