A previous repurchase program of 20 million shares from August 2010 has about 5.3 million shares remaining, Sysco said in a statement Wednesday.
Earlier this month, Sysco reported an 8.6% increase in first-quarter sales to $10.6 billion and a 0.6% increase in operating income to $509 million. Earnings of 51 cents a share were below analysts' views of 52 cents.
"While real sales growth over the past few quarters has been soft and SYY has had difficulty in passing through inflation, trends do not appear to be worsening despite a very challenging macro backdrop," Citi said in a recent analyst report.The stock hit a recent low on Oct. 5 of $25.47, but has risen steadily since then. In trading Wednesday, shares were off 0.2% to $27.78. -- Written by Alexandra Zendrian
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV