New York to Get Flights on Hawaiian Airlines
The Honolulu-based carrier will operate a new Airbus A330 seating 294 passengers, with just 18 seats in first class, on the route. The service will begin June 4, 2012.
"We're the airline of choice for millions of people on the West Coast and in Asia, and we're excited to be bringing the Hawaiian experience to New York," said Hawaiian CEO Mark Dunkerley, in a prepared statement.
The flight will depart daily from Kennedy International Airport at 10 a.m. EST, arriving in Honolulu at 3 p.m. local time. Eastbound flights will depart Honolulu at 3:05 p.m. local time and arrive at Kennedy at 6:55 a.m. EST the following morning.Hawaiian will take delivery of four new A330s early in 2012, bringing its A330 fleet to nine aircraft. In general, the A330s had been expected to be used for Asia service. . The new flight means more than 107,000 seats annually to Hawaii from the East Coast, which Hawaiian said is the state's second-largest source of tourism. Aviation consultant Robert Mann said the flight should benefit from "significant New York tour operator demand," but noted "whether pricing is economic compared with available alternatives, time will tell." The flight "would also carry significant volumes of AAdvantage frequent flyer award redemptions," Mann said, given American's (AMR)strong presence at Kennedy and its frequent flier miles agreement with Hawaiian. The American traffic could increase further if pilots were to approve expansion beyond existing inter-island code-sharing with Hawaiian. That expansion is a part of a contract that American has proposed, Mann said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV