Taking a closer look, operating revenues rose 9.6% to KRW31.6 trillion. Power sales revenue, the principal component of our operating revenues, went up by 8.2% totaling KRW29.9 trillion. This increase is attributed mainly to the overall average tariff increase of 3.5% in August 2010, and 4.9% in August 2011 as well as 5.6% growth in power sales volume, which was caused by increased demand (inaudible). Operating expenses witnessed a 15.3% rise in the third quarter of 2011 compared to the same period last year, recording KRW21.9 trillion.
KEPCO’s total operating expenses, fuels costs increased 14.8% year-on-year to KRW15.8 trillion in the third quarter of 2011. The rise in fuel costs can be attributed to a 1.2% increase in power generation due to rising power demand and a 13.6% jump in unit cost of fuel such as coal and LNG. At this time, I will explain KEPCO’s financial income and expenses. The company’s net financial loss for the third quarter of 2011 was KRW1.7 trillion, an increase of 23.4% compared to the KRW1.4 trillion net loss in the third quarter of 2010. This is attributable to increase in interest payments and increase in FX related loss.
[Foreign Language – Korean]
Equity net income of KEPCO affiliates totaled KRW118 billion, an increase of KRW52 billion over the KRW66 billion recorded in the third quarter of 2010. This is primarily attributable to a significant rise in net income from our overseas affiliates which recovered from a KRW17 billion net loss in the third quarter of 2010, to a KRW70 billion net income in the third quarter of 2011. As a result of the above factors, we recorded a net loss of KRW1.37 trillion for the third quarter of 2011 as compared to a net loss of KRW185 billion for the third quarter of last year. This concludes my overview of KEPCO’s earnings results for the third quarter of 2011.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV