The company also predicted full-year revenue will come in near the low end of the guidance it issued in August, which was itself a reduction from Dell Inc.'s previous expectations. In its earnings report, Dell cited the uncertain economy, as well as the "industry-wide hard drive issue" â¿¿ a reference to the recent flooding in Thailand that has hurt many tech companies' manufacturing operations.
For the quarter that ended Oct. 28, Dell earned $893 million, or 49 cents per share. This compares with $822 million, or 42 cents per share, in the same quarter in 2010.
By The Associated Press(equals)The Dow Jones industrial average rose 17.18 points, or 0.1 percent, to 12,096.16. The S&P 500 gained 6.02, or 0.5 percent, to 1,257.81. The Nasdaq added 28.98, or 1.1 percent, to 2,686.20. Benchmark crude rose $1.23 to end the day at $99.37 per barrel in New York. Brent crude, which is used to price many foreign oil varieties, climbed 50 cents to finish at $112.39 per barrel in London. In other energy trading, heating oil rose less than a penny to end at $3.1713 per gallon, and gasoline futures rose 5.04 cents to finish at $2.5857 per gallon. Natural gas gave up 5.4 cents to finish at $3.4040 per 1,000 cubic feet.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV