NEW YORK ( TheStreet Ratings) -- TheStreet Ratings reviews the risk-adjusted performance of around 25,000 funds every month. The best overall-rated mutual funds for 2012 are updated monthly on our Top-Rated Mutual Funds page.
1. No mutual fund ranks higher than the Permanent Portfolio Fund (PRPFX) with an overall rating of "A+", or Excellent. The fund has maintained an A+ rating since December 2007.
The Permanent Portfolio seeks to preserve and increase the purchasing power value of its shares over the long term. The fund invests a fixed target percentage of its net assets in gold, silver, Swiss franc assets, stocks of U.S. and foreign real estate and natural resource companies, aggressive growth stock and dollar assets such as U.S. Treasury securities and short term corporate bonds. The fund may invest in shares of companies of any market capitalization including small or mid-capitalization companies. However, at least 60 percent of its investment in aggressive growth stocks will ordinarily be in securities listed on the New York Stock Exchange.
2. The second best overall rated fund is the Bruce Fund (BRUFX). The fund been ranked at "A+" in 10 of the last 11 months.The Bruce Fund has an investment objective of long term capital appreciation. The fund seeks to achieve the objective by investing primarily in domestic common stocks and bonds. The fund invests in stocks of any capitalization. The fund also invests in foreign securities. This no-load fund has an expense ratio of 0.82%. As of the June 30, 2011 annual report, top stock holdings included Pfizer (PFE - Get Report) and Abbott Laboratories (ABT - Get Report) with corporate convertible bonds of MannKind Corp (MNKD) and Cell Therapeutics (CTIC - Get Report). Rounding out the top 10 best mutual funds for 2012: 3. ING Value Choice A (PAVAX) 4. Nuveen Tradewinds Value Opp A (NVOAX) 5. Tilson Dividend (TILDX) 6. Schwab Tax-Free Bond Fund (SWNTX) 7. Appleseed Fund Investor (APPLX) 8. Vanguard Wellesley Income Inv (VWINX) 9. Matthews Asia Dividend Fund Inv (MAPIX) 10. ING Morgan Stanley Global Franch A (IGFAX)
Research MethodologyTheStreet Ratings condenses the available fund performance and risk data into a single composite opinion of each fund's risk-adjusted performance. This allows the unbiased identification of those funds that have historically done well and those that have underperformed the market. While there is no guarantee of future performance, these investment ratings provide a solid framework for making informed, timely investment decisions. In order to qualify for a rating, an open-end fund must either have three years of risk and return data or be an additional share class of an existing fund with at least three years of performance statistics. Funds rated "A" or "B" are considered "Buy" based on a track record of higher than average risk-adjusted performance. Funds at the "C" level are rated as "Hold," while underperformers at the "D" and "E" levels our model ranks as "Sell." -- Reported by Kevin Baker in Jupiter, Fla.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, uncovers low dollar stocks with extraordinary upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.