For one, like other Buffett investments such as Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railroad, he is looking at IBM with a long-term view. In the 100 years since its founding, IBM has survived countless market environments, cementing its place within not only the tech sector, but the broader global business world. Buffett praised the firm for its ability to lay out its plans for the future. In addition, Buffett noted that IBM has enjoyed standout stability compared to other tech household names.
Given the investor's very specific tastes in regards to technology, the best way for individuals to mimic his newest purchases is through shares of IBM and Intel, or through Berkshire Hathaway stock. The iShares Dow Jones Technology Sector Index Fund (IWY) sets aside over 15% of its portfolio to IBM and Intel. However, the fund's index is also heavily focused on Apple (AAPL), Google (GOOG), and other tech names Buffett will likely still express hesitance towards in the future.
With his massive investment in IBM, and interest in Intel, it appears as though Buffett has gotten over some of his technophobia. Do you think that the additional technology bets will be in the investor's future? Feel free to leave a comment in the space below.
Written by Don Dion in Williamstown, Mass.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV