While Kraft Foods (KFT) isn't a retailer, as the largest consumer food and beverage company in North America, Kraft has significant retail presence. And right now, an "if/then trade" setup in shares is providing a solid breakout trade opportunity for investors.
Put simply, an if/then trade happens when a stock is trading in a well-defined horizontal range. It's a setup whose direction is contingent on the direction of the breakout from the range. So in Kraft's case, if shares break out above resistance (just below $36), then it becomes a buy. If shares break down below support (at $32.50), then Kraft becomes a short candidate.
Normally, if/then trades don't have any directional bias when they're in the channel. In Kraft's case, though, 14-day RSI (a momentum indicator) is posting a positive divergence from price, hinting at upside bias. Since momentum is a leading indicator, that's a good indication of a breakout to the upside, particularly with shares right under that resistance level right now.That doesn't mean that it makes sense to buy Kraft right now -- wait for the breakout to $36 before taking a position in this stock. Kraft, one of TheStreet Ratings' top-rated food stocks, remains one of Warren Buffett's top stocks as of the most recent period.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV