While Kraft Foods (KFT) isn't a retailer, as the largest consumer food and beverage company in North America, Kraft has significant retail presence. And right now, an "if/then trade" setup in shares is providing a solid breakout trade opportunity for investors.
Put simply, an if/then trade happens when a stock is trading in a well-defined horizontal range. It's a setup whose direction is contingent on the direction of the breakout from the range. So in Kraft's case, if shares break out above resistance (just below $36), then it becomes a buy. If shares break down below support (at $32.50), then Kraft becomes a short candidate.
Normally, if/then trades don't have any directional bias when they're in the channel. In Kraft's case, though, 14-day RSI (a momentum indicator) is posting a positive divergence from price, hinting at upside bias. Since momentum is a leading indicator, that's a good indication of a breakout to the upside, particularly with shares right under that resistance level right now.That doesn't mean that it makes sense to buy Kraft right now -- wait for the breakout to $36 before taking a position in this stock. Kraft, one of TheStreet Ratings' top-rated food stocks, remains one of Warren Buffett's top stocks as of the most recent period.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV