Johnson & Johnson (JNJ)
In April, Johnson & Johnson bought medical device maker Synthes for $21.3 billion in the biggest merger in its 125 year history. The purchase added to a run of eight other crisis-time acquisitions over $250 million in size that's brought its deals total to $25.2 billion.With Synthes, Johnson & Johnson took over a high quality maker of medical devices like screws and bone grafts, bolstering a health products unit that has recalled over 50 products since 2010, according to Bloomberg reports. Currently, J&J is the second largest maker of health products to Pfizer. While J&J's underperformed its drug and medical products competitor, gaining just 5% year-to-date compared with Pfizer's 13% return, the company's shares are only down 10% from its pre-crisis highs in contrast to Pfizer's near 30% loss. Even after the deal, Moody's maintained J&J's AAA rating. In total both Pfizer, with its $68 billion acquisition of Wyeth and Merck's (MRK) $41 billion takeover of Schering-Plough in 2009 have cut larger deals than J&J, but neither has bought many other companies. In 2010, Merck ended an $8.2 billion animal health services joint venture with Sanofi Aventis (SNY) over complications to the deal like divestitures.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV