NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- When markets ground to a halt three years ago some businesses pulled their investments or folded. But others saw the crisis as a long term growth opportunity.
While markets can turn to from bull to a bear on a dime, data shows that those who continued to make acquisitions during the crisis have bolstered their businesses and, sometimes, share prices.
|Since the crisis, Warren Buffett's led the way in takeovers - even if some have failed.|
Though the S&P 500 Index is literally exactly where it was the Friday before Lehman Brothers collapsed in September 2008 -- at 1251 points --the earnings from the continuing operations of companies within the composite index are now 20% greater over that time frame, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.
For companies looking for earnings growth, the data is a simple signal that even if stock prices, unemployment and GDP cast a cloud on our economic outlook, companies bold enough to invest through the uncertainty of the past few years may reap gains, if they haven't already.TheStreet did a screen of the most acquisitive companies since the crisis and picked a few big investing winners, using Bloomberg data. While some companies like Pfizer (PFE) did one-off mega mergers like its $60 billion plus Wyeth buyout, we focused on the companies who went to the deal well with frequency to drum up growth during tight times.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV