NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- When markets ground to a halt three years ago some businesses pulled their investments or folded. But others saw the crisis as a long term growth opportunity.
While markets can turn to from bull to a bear on a dime, data shows that those who continued to make acquisitions during the crisis have bolstered their businesses and, sometimes, share prices.
|Since the crisis, Warren Buffett's led the way in takeovers - even if some have failed.|
Though the S&P 500 Index is literally exactly where it was the Friday before Lehman Brothers collapsed in September 2008 -- at 1251 points --the earnings from the continuing operations of companies within the composite index are now 20% greater over that time frame, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.
For companies looking for earnings growth, the data is a simple signal that even if stock prices, unemployment and GDP cast a cloud on our economic outlook, companies bold enough to invest through the uncertainty of the past few years may reap gains, if they haven't already.TheStreet did a screen of the most acquisitive companies since the crisis and picked a few big investing winners, using Bloomberg data. While some companies like Pfizer (PFE) did one-off
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV