3. SPDR Gold Trust (GLD)
Company Profile: The SPDR Gold Trust ETF seeks to replicate the performance of the price of gold bullion. The trust holds gold and is expected to issue baskets in exchange for deposits of gold.SAC Capital's Investment: Cohen's dabble into the world of gold bugs saw him buy 184,000 shares of the ETF, worth $29 million as of Sept. 30. Share Price Performance: Despite the modest selloff in gold prices, the gold ETF is still up 25% this year and has added more than 7% since Sept. 30.
2. Marathon Petroleum (MPC) Company Profile: Marathon Petroleum is a supplier of gasoline and distillates to resellers and consumers. Its refining, marketing and transportation operations are concentrated primarily in the Midwest, Gulf Coast and Southeast regions of the U.S. SAC Capital's Investment: The hedge fund purchased 3.4 million shares of Marathon Petroleum last quarter. The stake was worth $91 million as of Sept. 30. Share Price Performance: Marathon Petroleum shares have fallen 13% since its July split from its parent company. However, shares have rallied a whopping 35% since the end of the third quarter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV