5. Consumer Discretionary SPDR (XLY)
Company Profile: The Consumer Discretionary SPDR seeks to replicate, net of expenses, the Consumer Discretionary Select Sector index. Some of the fund's top holdings include McDonald's (MCD), Amazon.com (AMZN) and Disney (DIS).SAC Capital's Investment: Cohen appears to be a believer that consumers are going to spend, and he's using the ETF to make that bet more broadly. SAC Capital owned about 450,000 shares of the ETF as of Sept. 30, worth about $15.7 million. Share Price Performance: The ETF is up nearly 5% in 2011 but more than 12% since the end of the third quarter.
4. Big Lots (BIG) Company Profile: Big Lots is a closeout retailer in the U.S. SAC Capital's Investment: Cohen's fund picked up about 629,000 shares of the discount retailer in the third quarter. The stake was worth almost $22 million as of Sept. 30. Share Price Performance: Shares of Big Lots have rallied more than 30% this year. Since Sept. 30, the stock is up 17%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV