Company Profile: News Corp. is a global media company with operations in film, television and newspapers. The company owns the Fox television network as well as newspapers like The Wall Street Journal and The New York Post. The company came under fire after a phone hacking scandal in the U.K. was uncovered earlier this year.Paulson's Investment: If misery loves company, it's no wonder Paulson bought shares of Rupert Murdoch's company last quarter. Paulson's stake totaled 14.7 million shares worth $229 million as of Sept. 30. Share Price Performance: The phone hacking scandal may be wounding Murdoch's pride but it hasn't left a mark on News Corp.'s share price. The stock is up 6% this year and more than 11% since the end of the third quarter.
2. Nalco Holding (NLC) Company Profile: Nalco Holding provides water, energy, air and process technologies and services that deliver savings for customers and improve the environment. Its programs and services are used in water treatment applications. Paulson's Investment: Paulson, like Farallon Capital's Thomas Steyer, was a fan of Nalco in the third quarter. Paulson & Co. bought 9.2 million shares of the company, a stake worth $321 million as of Sept. 30. Share Price Performance: Shares of Nalco have rallied more than 20% in 2011, but most of that rally came after the company agreed to a merger with Ecolab (ECL).
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts