Obama Health Care Ruling Due Before Election
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The U.S. Supreme Court announced on Monday that it would hear oral arguments in March on President Barack Obama's 2010 major health insurance overhaul and pass a judgment in late June.
The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act passed Congress in 2010 and aimed to extend health insurance to some 30 million Americans. In question is part of the law that requires individuals to be covered by 2014 or pay a penalty.
|U.S. Supreme Court|
"We are pleased that the court has agreed to hear this case," a White House spokesman said.
"In both public surveys and at the ballot box, Americans have rejected the law's mandate that they must buy government-approved health insurance, and I hope the Supreme Court will do the same," Mitch McConnell, Senate Minority Leader, said according to The Associated Press.A federal appeals court in Richmond, Va., ruled that arguments about a law's validity were premature, as federal law typically prohibited challenges to taxes until they were paid, according to the AP. Because taxes and fees for penalty of not being insured won't be paid until 2015, then, according to the appeals court, this issue could not be disputed in court. -- Written by Joe Deaux in New York. >Contact me here: Joe Deaux. >Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/JoeDeaux.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV