Obama's Mortgage Plan Adds to Housing Mess
The following commentary comes from an independent investor or market observer as part of TheStreet's guest contributor program, which is separate from the company's news coverage.
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Finally, some sunshine in housing. On Nov. 9, Ginnie Mae, a government corporation within the U.S. Housing and Urban Development (HUD), reported record earnings of $1.2 billion for the fiscal year ending Sept. 30. Ginnie Mae said it financed nearly 60% of all U.S. home purchases during the year. Credit was given to the FHA's increasing role; it insured about half of Ginnie Mae's loans.
The CEO of Ginnie Mae, Ted Tozer, an Obama appointee didn't mention that Ginnie Mae has been picking up the high-risk-loan slack from Fannie Mae (FNM) and Freddie Mac (FRE). According to the National Association of Realtors (NAR), Federal Housing Administration (FHA) loan-to-values (LTVs) have been rising to unprecedented levels. LTVs over 97% were 17% in 1991. Between 2000 and 2008 it rose to 51%. In 2010 it reached 68.2%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV