Bluegreen Corporation Reports 2011 Third Quarter Financial Results
Bluegreen Corporation (NYSE: BXG), a leading timeshare sales, marketing and resort management company, today announced financial results for the three and nine months ended September 30, 2011.
John M. Maloney Jr., President and Chief Executive Officer of Bluegreen, commented, “We believe that our results from continuing operations for the third quarter of 2011 validate our strategy of utilizing our core product, the points-based Bluegreen Vacation Club, as a platform to support three potential sources of revenue: our traditional timeshare (VOI) business; a growing fee-based services business; and a finance business. During the third quarter, we increased system-wide sales, generated higher income from continuing operations than in the comparable 2010 period, and produced Free Cash Flow of $41.1 million. During Q3 2011, fee-based services contributed 81% of total Resorts operating profit. Additionally, during the nine months ended September 30, 2011 we reduced our debt by more $100 million from December 31, 2010. We believe that our business model continues to move toward our goal of growing our fee-based services business, which has low capital requirements and which generates significant Free Cash Flow.”
Additional operating highlights included:
- In connection with its fee-based services business, Resorts sold $34.0 million of third-party VOI inventory in Q3 2011, generating sales and marketing commissions of approximately $23.5 million and contributing an estimated $6.2 million to Resorts operating profit. This compares to sales of $22.1 million of third-party VOI inventory, which generated sales and marketing commissions of $15.1 million and contributed an estimated $4.7 million to Resorts operating profit in Q3 2010. In Q3 2011, Bluegreen provided sales and marketing services to 7 resorts under fee-based service arrangements, as compared to 5 such arrangements during Q3 2010;
- Total revenues from fee-based services rose 30% to $42.3 million in Q3 2011. As of September 30, 2011, Bluegreen managed 45 timeshare resort properties and hotels compared to 43 as of September 30, 2010;
- Cash received from Resorts sales - either at closing or within 30 days of closing and including down payments received on financed sales - represented 55% of Resorts sales for the first nine months of 2011;
- Debt-to-equity (recourse and non-recourse) declined to 2.32:1 at September 30, 2011 from 2.58:1 at December 31, 2010. Debt-to-equity (recourse only) declined to 1.08:1 at September 30, 2011 from 1.22:1 at December 31, 2010;
- In September 2011, Bluegreen entered into a $30.0 million revolving timeshare receivables hypothecation facility with CapitalSource Bank; and
- In October 2011, Bluegreen amended, restated, and extended by one year its existing timeshare receivables purchase facility with BB&T. The amended revolving facility allows for maximum outstanding borrowings of $50.0 million. As of September 30, 2011, $20.6 million was outstanding under this facility.
Income from continuing operations attributable to Bluegreen shareholders (defined as income from continuing operations less net income attributable to non-controlling interest) rose to $9.7 million, or $0.30 per diluted share, compared to a loss of $0.6 million, or $0.02 per diluted share in Q3 2010. Income from continuing operations for Q3 2010 included a non-cash charge of $24.5 million to increase the reserve for loan losses on VOI notes receivable generated prior to December 15, 2008 (the date Bluegreen implemented credit underwriting standards), partially offset by a related $8.7 million non-cash reduction of cost of sales.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV