The following commentary comes from an independent investor or market observer as part of TheStreet's guest contributor program, which is separate from the company's news coverage.
By Nathan Slaughter
NEW YORK (StreetAuthority) -- One of the most successful high-yield energy investments in the world is a type of security few investors even know exists, let alone own.
They aren't stocks and they aren't bonds, but they are the No. 1 performing asset class of the past 10 years -- up 288%. Stocks are up just 31% during that stretch and bonds, which have been in a major bull market, are up 71%.Many of these companies have raised dividends at an almost 10% annual pace in the past decade. And their prices have also risen, generating total annual appreciation between 15% to 20%. That's why these investments give you the exact same double whammy -- high yields and explosive growth -- that has propelled so many big winners to the top of The 21 Best Income Stocks of the Past Decade I told you about in my previous article .
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV