MF Global Lays Off More than 1,000: Trustee
(Updated with latest news of layoffs at broker-dealer unit and statement from trustee)
The firings were "a necessary part of the court-ordered liquidation of MF Global Inc.," the trustee said. The employees have been terminated with immediate effect, though they will be paid through Tuesday, Nov. 15.
The firm had already laid off 165 employees across functions from another unit that once had 250 people, The Wall Street Journal's fins.com reported, citing a person familiar with the situation.Many terminated employees haven't received severance pay, deferred compensation or bonuses, according to that report. MF Global is being liquidated after its parent filed for bankruptcy on Oct. 31. Regulators have launched a formal investigation into the firm after more than $600 million of customer funds went missing. -- Written by Shanthi Bharatwaj in New York
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Shanthi Bharatwaj. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/shavenk. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV