GREENWICH, Conn. (AP) â¿¿ Railroad operator Genesee & Wyoming Inc. said Friday its October traffic increased 14.2 percent as it expanded its rail network and boosted shipments of metals and minerals.
The Greenwich, Conn., short-line rail company said it hauled 84,331 carloads in October, up from 73,867 in the same month last year. Excluding traffic from a pair of railways that were acquired in the past year, the company said carloads increased by 2.4 percent due to an increase in salt shipments from the New York/Pennsylvania region and metals shipments in the South.
Overall, shipments increased the most for metals (29 percent), minerals (16 percent) and farm and food products (12 percent). They dropped for vehicles and auto parts (16 percent) and coal and coke (9 percent).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV