ARCA biopharma, Inc. (Nasdaq: ABIO), a biopharmaceutical company developing genetically-targeted therapies for atrial fibrillation and other cardiovascular diseases, announced today that two Gencaro (bucindolol hydrochloride) abstracts have been selected for oral presentation at the American Heart Association’s Scientific Sessions 2011, being held November 12-16, 2011 in Orlando, Florida. The abstracts present atrial fibrillation data from the pivotal Phase 3 BEST trial of Gencaro. In addition, ARCA’s CEO, Dr. Michael Bristow, has been selected as one of the invited speakers for the conference session, “Clinical Implications of Cardiovascular Pharmacogenomics.”
Dr. Michael Bristow, CEO, ARCA biopharma (Photo: Business Wire)
Dr. Bristow will present “Genetic Guided Drug Development in Heart Failure” during the session “Clinical Implications of Cardiovascular Pharmacogenomics,” Sunday, November 13, 2011, 8:00 – 11:00 a.m. Eastern.
Dr. Ryan Aleong, Assistant Professor of Medicine, Cardiology, Director of Implanted Cardiac Device Clinic, University of Colorado Hospital, and Interim Director of Arrhythmia Services at Denver Health Medical Center, is scheduled to present both Gencaro abstracts:
- “Prevention of Atrial Fibrillation by Bucindolol is Completely Dependent on the Beta-1 389 Arg/Gly Adrenergic Receptor Polymorphism.” (Expanded Panel Discussion – EPD.400.03 – Atrial Fibrillation: Novel Insights into Mechanisms; Wednesday, November 16, 2011, from 9:00 a.m. to 11:45 a.m. Eastern).
- “Is New Onset Atrial Fibrillation a Surrogate Marker for Heart Failure Progression?” (Abstract Oral Session – AOS.516.01 – Ventricular Function/Hemodynamics and Biomarkers; Wednesday, November 16, 2011, from 2:00 p.m. to 5:10 p.m. Eastern).
Atrial FibrillationAtrial fibrillation is a disorder in which the normally regular and coordinated contraction pattern of the heart's two small upper chambers (the atria) becomes irregular and uncoordinated. The irregular contraction pattern associated with atrial fibrillation causes blood to pool in the atria, predisposing the formation of clots. These clots may travel from the heart and become lodged in the arteries leading to the brain and other organs, thereby blocking necessary blood flow and potentially resulting in stroke. In addition, in patients with heart failure with reduced left ventricular ejection fraction (HFREF), new onset atrial fibrillation may also contribute to worsening heart failure and increased risk of death.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV