Sandwich shop franchise Blimpie launched an initiative this year in honor of its 47th anniversary. Under its Blueprint 47, the sub shop's franchise fee for veterans and existing franchisees dropped to just $47 (from $18,000) to encourage store expansion.
Jillian Henry, director of franchise development at the sub shop's parent company, Kahala (owner of 14 brands including Cold Stone Creamery and the Ranch1 chicken chain), says while the deal will expire at year-end, the company is continuing with a 50% discount on the franchise fee to military vets in 2012.
"Obviously with what's going on around the world and what the U.S. military is involved in, we really wanted just show our appreciation for what the vets do for us," Henry says. "What makes a veteran perfect is
Besides being able to follow instructions, military veterans also ask a lot of questions, Henry acknowledges."A lot of times they want to know specifically what we're going to do to support them," she says. "The questions they have are unique in a positive way compared to other candidates because they are thinking long term about their business and how to make it successful." Henry expects to see further strong candidates as troops continue to come home. "We're actually really gearing up for that," she says, by working with companies to secure financing and tapping into federal programs available to vets to start their own business. 2. BrightStar Care
BrightStar Care provides what it calls a "full continuum of home care" that includes adult and elder care services, child care and medical staffing services for individuals, families and health care facilities. The home care franchise offers two incentives to veterans, including a 47% discount on the company's $47,500 franchise fee. (Start-up costs are roughly $100,000, according to VetFran.) They can also get a $2,500 credit toward technology and national advertising fund fees.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV