Whether Combs or fellow-newcomer Ted Weschler played a part in Buffett's buying frenzy remains up for debate. For Berkshire investors, what ultimately matters is whether Buffett's new purchases can help get his company's stock out of its rut.
Year to date, BRK.A is down over 5.5%, handedly underperforming the broad S&P-tracking SPDR S&P 500 ETF (SPY). The mood remained soured this week following the release of the company's shaky quarterly earnings. Despite beating analyst estimates, the company reported a notable decline in third quarter profits. Commentators have attributed this drop to the investor's derivative bets.
Long a proponent of the U.S.' economic recovery, Buffett has expressed his bullish views through various mediums including interviews and op-ed articles. However, with his most recent purchases, it is clear that his optimism is more than just rhetorical. Looking ahead, it will be interesting to see if the investor's new bets pay off.
On a side note, I would like to encourage my readers to review an article written by Jonathan Buoni, the editor of my newsletters who has entered a new columnist competition. If you like the article,
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV