Scribd Seeks to Upend Traditional Publishing World
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Social reading and publishing site Scribd lets users share documents ranging from best-selling books to academic papers and presentations across the Web.
In the last few months, the company has also unveiled a mobile application called Float that makes it easier for readers to view documents on their smartphones by stripping down Web pages into a cleaner format without pesky ads and external links. Float also provides reading recommendations from friends and followers on social networks like Facebook and Twitter.
Scribd has gained considerable traction since launching in 2006, raising nearly $26 million, attracting more than 75 million users a month and striking deals with big name publishers like Simon & Schuster who sell their books across the site's online store.
The Street recently spoke with Scribd CEO Trip Adler at the start-up's office in San Francisco (complete with go-carts and a Zip-line) to learn more about the company's strategy, new products and the future of the publishing industry.--Written by Olivia Oran in New York.
>To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/Ozoran. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV