The key to her team's success, she says, lies in their very democratic approach to picking investments.
"As a team we have to come to an understanding on what to do with our portfolio," she says. "What's good about my team is that everybody respects everybody else's opinion. If two people don't agree, we are going to go back to it and debate the positives and the negatives. Then we'll move on and maybe come back to it. We try to have everybody at the same level of understanding."
How have the portfolios done?
Most have ranged between a 5% and 10% return. Loren says that over two years, the top team has even managed a 38% return.Don't go looking for any hot stock tips, however. Just like professional portfolio managers, the girls are hesitant to reveal too much about their specific buys. "We don't give specifics because we try to keep the investments of the teams somewhat confidential from the other teams, so they don't try to piggyback," he says. There is one example he's willing to share, however. One of the teams, researching Starbucks (SBUX), learned of its expansion plans and, in response, made a play on Green Mountain Coffee Roasters (GMCR) well ahead of the two companies forging a partnership for Keurig brewing systems in March. "They were ahead of the game," he says. "That's the kind of savvy we didn't expect upfront but are seeing from all the teams." -- Written by Joe Mont in Boston.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joe Mont.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV