If Italy were to create a contagious crisis in the eurozone, investors may still find a lucky strike in British American Tobacco (BTI). The London-based cigarette-seller is up nearly 20% this year, outperforming all U.S. and Western European indices, proving once more that in times of fear, consumers and investors flock to the comfort of smokes.
With its Lucky Strike brand founded in the 1870s that's featured on AMC Network's (AMCX) Mad Men and in the tunes of Billy Joel, British American Tobacco counts on North America for $3.5 billion of its overall $14.9 billion in annual sales. With $5 billion in annual sales, Europe accounts for nearly 35% of overall revenue.
Signaling that cigarettes are getting a buzz from bleak economic times, British American Tobacco's sales in Europe, the Americas and Asia have all grown since the onset of the financial crisis in 2007. Overall, its operating profits have grown 64.6% since 2007 to $4.9 billion.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV