IQ Hedge Macro Tracker ETF
The biggest detractor about any of the previous three names is that they require a hands-on approach; if macro factors shift (if the Fed changes rates on excess reserves), you need to be ready to shift your positions. A more turnkey solution is the IQ Hedge Macro Tracker ETF (MCRO), a relatively newer fund that tracks a basket of hedge funds with a global macro bent.
They key to this fund is risk-adjusted return -- not absolute return. In other words, it should provide exposure to global macro themes while reigning in its risk. As a result, investors should expect its returns to be comparatively muted when markets are swinging wildly.One consequence of using an ETF to gain exposure to a global macro strategy is the cost. You're paying 1.09% of your assets for money management with MCRO -- vs. nothing if you apply a macro strategy yourself. While the turnkey nature of this ETF makes it an attractive alternative, hands-on investors will prefer managing their own macro investments. To see these four global macro trades in action, check out the Global Macro 2011 portfolio at Stockpickr. -- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV