Of course, GLD isn't your only option for gold exposure. Another interesting one is Newmont Mining (NEM), the world's second-largest gold miner. One of the most attractive attributes in Newmont is the discount that this stock has been sporting lately.
Miners as a group have failed to mirror gold's rally in 2011, even though gold spot prices flow directly through to their income statements each quarter. That disconnect makes miners particularly attractive right now.Newmont addresses some of that gap by locking its 2% dividend payout to the price of gold. The fact that investors' fortunes are aligned with Newmont's makes this a unique way to make a macro bet on gold. Newmont, which I also featured in "7 Stocks Dishing Out Bigger Dividends," shows up on a recent list of 6 S&P 500 Stocks Poised to Outperform the Index.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV