BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- Forget about stocks -- it's time to turn "macro" for a moment.
While most individual investors focus themselves solely on stocks, that's a recipe for some major missed opportunities in this environment. Instead, it makes sense to add a global macro strategy to part of your portfolio. In short, global macro is all about making broad economic bets on everything from interest rates to emerging market stocks -- tools such as flow of funds analysis and economic theory are paramount.
That blend of technical and fundamental factors provides a more complete picture of the broad market. And it's been the strategy behind some of the world's most successful hedge funds. So how can you put a global macro strategy to work for your portfolio?The global macro picture has been shifting dramatically in the past few months. From sinking stocks and Europe's debt debacle to the fading glimmer of gold, this hasn't been an easy market to participate in. Here's a look at four investments you should be positioning yourself into as we approach 2012.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV