Judge Bans Graphic Cigarette Warning Labels
U.S. District Judge Richard Leon granted a preliminary injunction to four tobacco companies on Monday, saying the labels were not factual and, in some instances, had been digitally altered to convey a controversial message.
"Characterizing these graphic images as 'warnings' strikes me as inaccurate and unfair," Leon wrote in the injunction. "At first blush, they appear to be more about shocking and repelling than warning."
Leon also wrote that, as a result of these and other issues, the tobacco companies were likely to prevail in their lawsuit and would not be required to feature the labels while the case played out in court.The warnings were first unveiled in June and were slated to start appearing on cigarette boxes in September 2012. Anti-smoking organizations are urging the FDA and the U.S. Justice Department to appeal the ruling. >To submit a news tip, email: email@example.com. Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV