Old Investors, Young Entrepreneurs
But Gerber says that young entrepreneurs have an even bigger problem that needs to be solved: how to unburden the group from the gigantic student loans that are inhibiting them from starting businesses.
The new fund combines income-based repayment options to pay the entrepreneur's federal student loan debt obligations for up to three years, enabling them to concentrate on the crucial start-up phase of a business. It will also offer some the opportunity to live on college campuses for us to two years as well as peer mentoring.
The company expects to invest in up to 100 start-ups over the next five years, and several hundred over the next 10 years.
"We hope to have long-term partnerships with these people," Gerber says."At the end of the day investors are investing in people -- that's obviously the case in all investments -- but specifically for young people if they really believe strongly in leadership at this age, they'll have a long career. You're putting a bet on these people," he adds. -- Written by Laurie Kulikowski in New York. To follow Laurie Kulikowski on Twitter, go to: http://twitter.com/#!/LKulikowski To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Follow TheStreet on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV