Old Investors, Young Entrepreneurs
"Certainly young people have more opportunity to start important businesses than they did before, and actually I think that when you're in college it's a great time to start a business -- it turns out that people in college have meal plans and places to sleep. If those are given, you can throw yourself into the business," says Nick Seguin, manager of entrepreneurship at the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation, the largest organization in the world dedicated to fostering entrepreneurship. Seguin started a digital consulting firm when he was 19.
Yet to impress investors, Seguin says it's important that the young entrepreneur is familiar enough with the mechanics of their business, is able to talk proficiently about the industry they serve as well as what they have done in the past six months to accomplish their goals.
"If a young woman is building a global telecom company at 28, what makes them the domain expert here? It's a huge market opportunity, that's great, but what makes you the one that I should place a bet on?" Seguin says. "The real question is 'Have you validated your business with customers?' What does your cash flow look like? The next iPhone app would be really big, but I'd rather somebody talk about solving a problem."
Investors are not only looking for traction but social validation. "A lot of investors will meet
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV