The hedge fund sold out its stake in drug giant Pfizer (PFE) in the quarter, as it expects cuts in future government reimbursements for branded pharmaceuticals will hurt revenue. Also weighing on the shares are concerns about the recent disclosure of additional government investigations into Pfizer's marketing practices.
Also in the third quarter, Greenlight sold its stake in oil-industry giant BP (BP) over fear of falling energy prices. The hedge fund ended a multiyear short position in Amedisys (AMED), a home health and hospice company.
Einhorn spent a good part of the investors' letter eviscerating the business model and accounting methods of Green Mountain Coffee Roasters (GMCR), in which his fund has a substantial short position. Green Mountain reports earnings after the close of trading today.
>>To see these stocks in action, visit the 3 New Investment Ideas From Greenlight's Einhorn portfolio on Stockpickr.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV