BOSTON ( TheStreet) -- David Einhorn's Greenlight Capital initiated stakes in multimedia conglomerate CBS (CBS), carmaker General Motors (GM) and semiconductor company Marvell Technology (MRVL) in the third quarter as the hedge fund bucked the stock market's sharp decline.
Despite the benchmark S&P 500 Index's 14% drop in the quarter, which was marked by violent market swings, "our conservatively managed portfolio essentially went sideways with much lower volatility," decreasing 1.2%, Einhorn said in a letter to hedge fund shareholders this week. Greenlight will report third-quarter holdings next week, which will give a fuller picture of his investments.
Besides equity investments, Einhorn, 42, struggled to work out a deal to buy his beloved New York Mets baseball team, an effort that ultimately failed.
The Greenlight hedge fund fell 6.2% from the start of the year through the end of the third quarter, versus the 7.7% decline of the S&P 500. Returns by famous hedge fund managers are all over the place this year as many countries' economies accelerated, then slowed unexpectedly. Billionaire investor John Paulson is down more than 30% this year, while James Simons' Renaissance Institutional Equities Fund is up more than 30%. According to eVestment/HFN, its HFN Hedge Fund Aggregate Index, which includes the results from just over 4,000 hedge funds, fell 3.1% in September and was down 5.6% for the year through the end of the third quarter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV