The following commentary comes from an independent investor or market observer as part of TheStreet's guest contributor program, which is separate from the company's news coverage.
By Todd Shriber
NEW YORK (StreetAuthority) -- One mistake novice income investors make is assuming that the best dividend stocks are the ones they're most familiar with, or the ones most talked about on CNBC or in the mainstream financial press.
Sure, well-known dividend stocks such as Dow components Coca-Cola (KO), Exxon Mobil (XOM) and Procter & Gamble (PG) have proven their mettle as dependable dividend payers. Each has a multidecade streak of raising dividends and rewarding shareholders. P&G, for example, touts an uninterrupted string of dividends dating back to the 19th century and a streak of dividend increases for more than 50 years.That's all good, but if the financial crisis taught investors anything, it's that not all dividends are completely safe. Stinging dividend cuts during the crisis from the likes of General Electric (GE) and the major banks proved as much. Those companies had one thing in common: They were perceived to be strong dividend stocks by the investing public, in part because they were ''known'' entities. Remember, income investing isn't a popularity contest. In fact, there are dependable dividends for the taking among plenty of obscure stocks. These four in particular caught my eye.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV