Another small offering planned for this week is NewLink Genetics (NLNK), a biotech company with oncology products in clinical trials. The Ames, Iowa-based company is hoping to raise $61 million, proposing to sell 5.5 million shares at between $10 and $12 each.
NewLink's lead product is a proposed pancreatic cancer treatment in phase III trials based on its HyperAcute immunotherapy approach, which looks to stimulate the human immune system to combat cancer. The company is pursuing patent protection for specific combination therapies and protection for its novel inhibitor compounds as well as potential second-generation products.
As with all biotechs, NewLink's success depends on receiving approval of its products from the Food and Drug Administration. The company has so far received grants from the National Institute of Health and the Department of Defense, development that impress IPO Desktop's Gaskins.
"I think it's hard to get money from them and it's impressive," he said. Gaskins likes the company and what it is doing, although he is worried that the clinical trials may take longer than planned. There are other companies competing for this market as well, names like Amgen (AMGN) and Celgene (CELG).--Written by Debra Borchardt in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Debra Borchardt.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV