Divorce! Amylin Pharma and Lilly Call It Quits Over Diabetes Drug
Amylin and Eli agreed to terminate their partnership for the diabetes drug exenatide, sold as Byetta and in clinical development as a once-weekly version known as Bydureon, the companies announced Tuesday.
Amylin will regain full rights to both exenatide-based diabetes drugs, starting in the U.S. next month and progressing to all markets by the end of 2013. In exchange, Amylin will pay to Lilly $250 million in cash upfront and up to $1.2 billion in total, based on future exenatide sales.
Amylin shares fell 8% to $10.01 in pre-market trading.The Amylin-Lilly divorce ends a rocky 10-year relationship between the two companies. Most recently, Amylin filed a lawsuit against Lilly alleging anti-competitive activity after Lilly entered into a marketing partnership with Boehringer Ingelheim to sell a competing diabetes drug. Together, Amylin and Lilly sold Byetta, a once-daily injection for Type 2 diabetics. The companies have struggled to get approval for a once-weekly version of the drug known as Bydureon. FDA rejected Bydureon last year. Amylin and Lilly resubmitted the drug for approval and FDA is expected to announce another approval decision on January 28, 2012. Bydureon was developed with assistance from Alkermes (ALKS), which will receive royalty payments tied to the drug's sales. --Written by Adam Feuerstein in Boston.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Adam Feuerstein. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/adamfeuerstein. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow TheStreet on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV