NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Holding the "1%" accountable is all the rage these days, as evidenced by the Occupy Wall Street protest movement and its global offshoots.
The lack of any single demand or goal for the Occupy movement, though, speaks to an existential crisis even as the movement grows. Occupy backers say there is no such thing as fine-tuning its meaning -- that would go against its all-inclusive spirit.
It's not just the big banks or Wall Street or the connection between Wall Street and the government, and it's not a call for mere anarchy being loosed upon the world over reform of existing democratic institutions.
It's all of that, or one item from the list, or none of it -- you choose -- and so what if Occupy needs backing from labor unions, and the labor unions aren't out to change the world but merely influence the world of Washington, D.C., where they already have a firm place in the status quo?
|Contradiction is inherent in the corruption and tax evasion charges that landed, and have kept, Mikhail Khodorkovsky, former head of Yukos, behind bars in Siberia.|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV