LSB Industries, Inc. (NYSE: LXU) announced today results for the third quarter ended September 30, 2011.
Third Quarter 2011 Financial Highlights Compared to Third Quarter 2010:
- Sales were $176.8 million, a 27% increase from $138.9 million;
- Operating income was $12.5 million compared to $8.5 million, an increase of $4.0 million;
- Net income and net income applicable to common shareholders were $6.3 million compared to $3.8 million; and
- Diluted earnings per common share were $0.27 compared to $0.17.
Discussion of Third Quarter of 2011:
Our third quarter results historically are lower than the other three quarters of the year due to planned maintenance events (“Turnarounds”) in our Chemical Business, which are scheduled during the third quarter when we are between our major fertilizer sales seasons. As such, the Chemical Business third quarter 2011 production, sales and profitability were much lower than in the first two quarters of 2011 due to seasonality and extensive maintenance downtime for planned Turnarounds performed at most of our plants, as well as unplanned maintenance in July and August. The downtime primarily affected production of ammonia and urea ammonium nitrate (“UAN”) fertilizer products, thereby reducing fixed overhead absorption and limiting sales volume. During September and October, production was back to normal and customer demand for ammonia and UAN continues to be strong .The $37.9 million increase in consolidated sales includes a $30.2 million or 42% increase in Chemical Business sales and a $7.3 million or 11% increase in Climate Control Business sales. The Chemical Business sales include sales from the Pryor Facility to unrelated parties of $10.5 million compared to $1.8 million for the third quarter of 2010. The $4.0 million increase in consolidated operating income includes a $5.9 million net increase by the Chemical Business and a $1.4 million decrease by the Climate Control Business.
- Although the increase in the Chemical Business operating income reflects higher overall selling prices and volumes across all major product lines, the increase was primarily a result of greater sales volumes and margins on UAN produced at the Cherokee and Pryor facilities.
- The decrease in the Climate Control Business operating income was primarily due to higher material costs, change in product mix, and an increase in selling expenses.
- Sales were $589.9 million, a $152.1 million or 35% increase from $437.8 million;
- Operating income was $94.8 million compared to $25.7 million;
- Net income was $55.9 million compared to $11.5 million;
- Net income applicable to common shareholders increased to $55.5 million from $11.2 million; and
- Diluted earnings per common share were $2.39 compared to $0.52.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV